Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Sorry all, too lazy for pictures

I've developed two modes of speaking: normal, and slowly with large.... spaces ....between.... words.... so.... it ....might.... be ....clear.... to ....some ....one ....that.... speaks ....little.... english (using small words helps too). I used to get a chuckle when Dr. Williams or other americans here would talk to me this way out of habit,, now I chuckle at myself.

This, however, is only surpassed by how funny my broken Japanese stuttering must be to the people here. Oh my word. Not only can I not form a sentence, I can't remember anything- 30 seconds after I ask "kore wa ningun nan to imas ka?", I forget whatever vocabulary word I just asked for (I probably screwed up that question, too. If any japanese speakers happen to be reading, I hearby offer my most sincere apology).

I do however, remember the word for room, shitsu, because it sounds like the dog breed. It's my victory for the day :).

And on that note, japanese vocabulary often combines the sylables 'shi' and 'tsu/tsa', so I'm having to get past the embarrasment of thinking I'm swearing every 5th word I say.

Had my first day of work- my labmates are pretty awesome, and there is absolutely no way I'll ever be able to adequately thank Hiro for his kindness and inexhaustable help (this, I believe, is soon to develop into a list of people that will be anti-small).

That's all for now,, hopefully pics of osaka castle and the lab in when I get non-lazy.

2 Comments:

Blogger kmcmurray said...

I'm so excited for you and your experience!! The language will get easier but in the mean time just be able to laugh at yourself and remember that at least you are trying, so many people don't even do that much. You are missed and loved, Joey, and not just for your cooking skills.

5:40 PM  
Blogger joey said...

I`ll look for them :)

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home